Biryanis are versatile and can be prepared with either chicken, meat, prawns, fish or even with vegetables.Biryani weather veg or non veg is must in a royal feast.
The type and preparation for Biryani vary from region to region. The ingredients used also varies according to the culture and people. Biryanis can be prepared spicy in Hyderabadi style or can be made sweet like Kashmiri ones.
Prawns biryani is a flavourful made using prawns or jingga and basmati rice. Prawns is marinated with spices and caramelized onions which adds a lovely flavour to the prawns. It is layered and cooked along with parboiled basmati rice. Saffron milk is also added for added flavour and colour.
Prawn is one of my husband’s favorites. . This is a very simple home style prawn biryani recipe that can be done in no time.
The regular Tamil style method of making prawn biryani in a pressure cooker and also making the prawn biryani in an oven. The oven method is fool proof and the prawn biryani comes fluffy and fantastic every single time. This prawn biryani recipe is perfect for beginners.
INGREDIENTS Prawn Biriyani:-
FOR MARINATING THE PRAWNS FOR PRAWN BIRYANI
- 250 grams prawns, cleaned and deveined
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon plain vinegar
OTHER INGREDIENTS FOR PRAWN BIRYANI
- 1 cup Basmati rice (240 ml)
- 4 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup onions, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 inch piece ginger
- 2 green chillies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 6 sprigs mint leaves, chopped
- 6 sprigs coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup plain curd / yogurt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 teaspoon butter
INSTRUCTIONS for making Prawn Biriyani:-
- Clean and devein the prawns and add it to a bowl. Add in the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt and vinegar. Mix well and let the prawns marinate for 20 minutes.
- Just before starting to cook, wash and soak the basmati rice in water. Aged basmati rice works well.
- Heat coconut oil in a pressure cooker. Add in the marinated prawns. Do not add any water. Let the prawns cook in its own juices. Remove the prawns after 3-4 minutes and set aside on a bowl.
- In the same oil used for frying prawns, add in the onions. Add in the salt and saute for 2-3 minutes till the onions are soft. Add in the crushed ginger-garlic-green chillies. Saute for 3-4 minutes till the onions are nicely brown.
- Add in the tomatoes, mint leaves, coriander leaves and the curd.
- Add in the garam masala powder. Cover the pan with a lid and let it simmer for about 10 minutes on a medium flame till the tomatoes are cooked and mushy.
7. After 10 minutes, you would notice that the oil is seperated and the masalas are well cooked.
8. Add back the prawns and butter. You can use ghee if you do not have butter.
9. Add in the hot water. The rice-water ratio I have used is 1 rice:1.5 water.
10. Drain the soaked rice and add it to the cooker. Mix well.
11. Cover the cooker and cook for exactly two whistles on medium flame. (About 7-8 minutes). Remove the cooker from heat and wait for the pressure from the cooker to settle.
12. Tasty prawn biryani is ready. Serve hot.
Note: Cooking the prawn biryani in the oven method.
If you want to cook the biryani in the oven, after adding rice to the pan, let it come to a rolling boil. Once it comes to a boil, cover the pan with a lid and place it in a 200C / 390F preheated oven and cook for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove from oven and let it rest on counter top for 15 minutes. Then, serve hot.
Important : The water ratio for cooking in oven method is 1 rice : 2 water. Use two cups water for every cup rice used if cooking by oven method.
Tasty prawn biryani is ready. Serve hot.