kayi holige recipe/ naariyal puran poli / kayi obbattu/ coconut poli (KARNATAKA , SOUTH INDIAN SWEETS).
Kayi Holige is known for its delightful taste with sweetness coming from jaggery, ghee and flavoured with cardamom.
Kayi Obbattu is a known recipe to many as it is quite popularly made and served during festival season. however, a similar kind of variation is made in south india, particularly in karnataka and Maharastra.
The process of making this is at home is rather tedious and that could be a reason why it is made sparingly. However, the recipe here is much simpler without compromising on the taste.
INGREDIENTS for kayi Holige:-
- 2 cups Maida
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 cups Fresh grated coconut
- 1 cup Jaggery
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- water as required.
METHODs for making Kayi Obbattu:-
- In a bowl mix 2 cups of Maida, 1/4 tsp of Turmeric powder and pinch of salt. Mix well.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil. Mix well. Add water as required to knead a sticky dough.
- Add 1 tbsp oil . Knead again to get soft dough. Spread 1 tbsp oil on the dough. Set aside for 3 hours.
- Grind 2 cups of fresh grated coconut. Grind coarsely. Keep aside.
- In a pan add 1 cup of jaggery and 1/4 cup of water and heat. Stir well till jaggery melts and dissolves. Filter syrup in a separate pan and heat. Stir once.
- Add ground coconut. Mix well. Heat for 4-5 minutes on medium flame to get non sticky stuffing mixture. Cool completely.
- Take prepared soft dough which has been rested for 3 hours. Knead again to give fine texture. Make a soft dough.
- Pinch a small portion and stretch edges with fingers.
- Place stuffing mixture twice the size of dough in center. Seal by bringing edges together. Pinch off excess dough with fingers.
- Spread oil on baking sheet. Spread stuffed dough with fingers. Cover with another baking sheet greased with oil. Spread dough evenly as thin as possible in a round shape. Stuffing mixture spreads evenly till edges.
- Spread little oil or ghee on a tava. Invert baking sheet. Slowly remove sheet. Apply ghee on top. Cooks fast if made thin. Lift gently and flip over. Cook well.
- Kayi Holige is ready. Serve with ghee.