Jangiri – is a traditional sweet made with urad dal and Jalebi is made from Maida/all purpose flour. It is commonly prepared during Diwali in kerala and Tamil Nadu State.
In a country like India where many types of desserts can be found, Jangri is a worldwide favorite dessert.
Not just on Holi, Diwali or any festive events, Jangri is one thing which is contained in the common diet of all the people born having a sweet tooth.
Ingredients need for Kerala Jalebi/Jangiri:-
- Split Urad Dal – 1 cup
- Sugar – 2 cups
- Water – 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup
- Red or Orange – Food Color – a pinch
- Lime Juice from 1/2 lime
- May use a few drops of Rose Essence but I didn’t use.
- Oil for frying
Step by step instructions for Jangiri/Kerala jalebi:-
1. Soak Urad dal in water for 1/2 an hour, may use whole Urad dal if then do increase the soaking time.
2. Boil sugar and water, let boil till it becomes a thick syrup, when its one thread consistency add lime juice and Rose essence , lime juice helps to prevent the sugar from crystallizing. Switch off the heat and keep the syrup aside.
You may also like these Home made Sweets recipe:-Dharward peda , Boondi Modak for Lord Ganesha , Basundi sweet recipe, Kerala Jalebi recipe.
3. Drain water from the soaked Urad dal and transfer to a grinder/Mixer to grind it to a smooth paste.
May Sprinkle few drops of water to make it grind easier, care should be taken not to pour more water as the batter should be very thick so that it will be easy to pipe it while frying.
4. Grind it to a very smooth paste , rub the batter between your fingers to see if its nice and smooth, (this is important as the texture of the Jalebi depends on how nicely you grind the dal)
5. Add food color to the batter and mix well. In a zip-lock bag, cut its tip to make a small hole and spoon in the batter, try piping the designs to a paper or on to another zip lock once or twice before you start making the Jalebi’s.
you can use one pc of thick cloth and make a small hole in the center, so that jalebi batter can pass easily…it should be cleaned or may be new Gray cloth.
Make a flower type as shown in photo round design jalebi which is kerala jalebi. for keral jalebi you need to practice for perfect design.
6. Heat oil in a frying pan , once the oil is very hot, lower the heat and pipe Jalebi’s designs to the hot oil.
(If the oil is too hot the jalebi’s would bubble up and float immediately as you start piping it and then it will be hard to make the designs hence keep the oil in medium – low heat).
7. Should wait to get’em cooked nicely on each sides (about 1 to 2 minutes on each side if the oil is in medium-low heat , also shouldn’t over fry’em as then it wouldn’t absorb the sugar syrup and will be very crisp, also tends to get dried easily)
8. Once it looks done , drain the Jalebi’s and Dip each Jalebi’s in the sugar syrup for few minutes and transfer to a plate.
9. Make the rest of the Jalebi’s.