Methi Thepla is a very popular Gujarati dish made with flour, spices, and fresh fenugreek leaves. It is a soft flatbread that can be had at any time of the day. Here is how to make it at home.
This is a protein rich breakfast recipe. If you are looking for a healthy breakfast recipe for your kids, then this is what you should try.
Thepla is Gujarati Style Paratha or Flatbread that is prepared using whole wheat flour and is sometimes fortified with other flours like besan, bajra, and jowar.
Traditionally, methi is added in the thepla to enhance the taste, texture, and the nutrition level, but you can experiment with the same and add other vegetables such as lauki, carrot, beetroot, etc.
Ingredients for Methi Thepla :-
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- ½ cup Chickpea Flour
- 1 cup Fenugreek Leaves (chopped)
- ½ cup Yogurt
- half tsp Ginger Paste
- ½ tsp Chilli Paste
- ¼ tsp Hing
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp Carom Seeds
- half tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
Instructions for making Methi thepla:-
- Mix all the ingredients except warm water in a bowl.
- Mix nicely with your finger tips and leave aside for 10 minutes. Fenugreek will leave the water it has.
- Add very little water and knead to make a soft dough.
- Cover and keep the dough for 15-20 minutes.
- Add a tbsp of oil in the bowl and knead the dough again for a minute.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal balls.
- Dust and roll the balls to a 6-7 inch circle.
- Heat a griddle.
- Keep the thepla on the hot griddle and cook from both the sides till brown spots appear.
- Apply 1 tsp oil on both the sides and cook till spots darken and the thepla is cooked.
- press the thepla with a flat spoon while it is cooking.
- Serve hot with pickle and curd.