Pav Bhaji – is one of the most popular Indian snacks, specially in Maharashtra. It is a delicious combination of different vegetables cooked and mashed together.
This is one dish, loved by people of all ages and cooked with different variations in different households. Pav Bhaji is the smartest way to have all the healthy vegetables together without compromising on the taste. Here is a spicy, easy and low fat Pav Bhaji recipe for you to easily cook this iconic dish at home.
This famous Mumbai street food item, Pav Bhaji is an amalgamation of all sorts of healthy vegetables.
Pav bhaji is a dish that can be enjoyed at any hour of the day, be it for brunch, lunch or even dinner. It is a quintessential Indian snack recipe. The best way to feast on Pav bhaji is to serve it with roasted pav buns, some chopped onion and lemon with sliced tomatoes to go with it.
Main ingredients for PavBhaji:-
- Which veggies to add:The vegetables that are usually added to pav bhaji are cauliflower, potatoes, carrots, peas, capsicum and french beans. In the pav bhaji that one gets in the streets of Mumbai, carrots are usually not added. But you can add carrots.
- Cooking veggies: In the recipe I have used a pressure cooker for cooking the vegetables. You can also steam or cook them in a pan or in the Instant Pot.
- Spicing: The spice powders can be easily adjusted to suit your taste.
- Vegan option: add butter, if no butter then you can also make the pav bhaji with a neutral tasting oil or a vegan butter.
- Substitute for Pav bhaji masala: If you don’t have pav bhaji masala, then add garam masala. you can also add some dry mango powder (amchur) to get that slightly sour taste. The quantity to add is 2 teaspoons garam masala with 1 teaspoon amchur (dry mango powder).
- Pav Bhaji Masala: Use good quality pav bhaji masala or make it at home.
Ingredients Of Pav Bhaji:-
- 1 tsp oil
- 4 cubes large butter, finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 cup lauki, chopped
- 1/2 cup capsicum, chopped
- 1 cup potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup beetroot, chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3 tsp pav bhaji masala
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1 cube butter
- 1 bunch coriander leaves
- For Pav:
- Pav bhaji masala
How to Make Mumabi famous Pav Bhaji :-
- 1.Heat oil in a pan. Add cubes of butter along with onion
- 2.Saute till golden brown and then add ginger garlic paste. Mix well.
- 3.Now add chopped lauki along with coriander and mix well, followed by a cup of chopped potatoes. Mix and mash well together.
- 4.Add chopped beetroot, salt, chilli powder and pav bhaji masala to the mashed mixture. Mix well.
- 5.Now add the tomato puree.
- 6.Mix the tomato puree thoroughly and then add butter followed by coriander leaves to the cooked bhaaji. Mix thoroughly.
- Prepare Pav:
- 1.Spread some butter all over the pav.
- 2.Sprinkle pav bhaji masala over it.
- 3.Toast it on the pan for a while till it becomes golden brown.
- 4.Serve hot along with a lemon wedge, chopped onion and green chilli.