Vangi bath is originated from karnataka , it can be prepared as Breakfast or lunch also. brinjal bath is served with masaru bhajji or coconut chutney.
Vangi bath is a flavorful rice dish infused with several spices supporting eggplant, or bell pepper or a combination of both.
The centerpiece of the dish however is the homemade vangi masala that you can prepare well ahead of time and store in an airtight container. It is quite common to find this in ethnic grocery stores too, but the magic of homemade ingredients is unmatched and the freshness of ingredients is something you do not get in store bought powders.
INGREDIENTS FOR VANGI BATH:-
FOR VANGI BATH MASALA POWDER:
- 5 inch cinnamon
- 1 tsp clove
- 5 pods cardamom
- 1 mace / javitri
- 2 tsp poppy seeds / khuskhus
- 2 tsp oil
- ¼ cup coriander seeds
- one fourth cup urad dal
- ¼ cup chana dal
- 1 tbsp cumin / jeera
- 1 tsp methi / fenugreek
- ½ cup dry coconut, sliced
- 20 dried red chilli
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard
- one tsp cumin / jeera
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 2 tbsp peanut
- few curry leaves
- 1 dried red chilli
- 2 brinjal / baingan, cubed
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ cup tamarind extract
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp jaggery
- 3 cup cooked rice
- 2 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
INSTRUCTIONS FOR BRINJAL RICE:-
VANGI BATH MASALA POWDER:
- firstly, in a heavy-bottomed pan, dry roast 5 inch cinnamon, 1 tsp clove, 5 pods cardamom and 1 mace.
- roast until the spices turn aromatic. keep aside.
- in the same pan dry roast 2 tsp poppy seeds until it starts to pop up. keep aside.
- in the pan heat 1 tsp oil, add ¼ cup coriander seeds, ¼ cup urad dal, ¼ cup chana dal, 1 tbsp cumin and 1 tsp methi.
- roast until the lentils turn golden brown.
- now add ½ cup dry coconut and roast slightly.
- cool completely, making sure all the spices are not burnt.
- now heat 1 tsp oil and roast 20 dried red chilli until it puffs up.
- cool completely and transfer the roasted spices to the blender.
- blend to coarse powder without adding any water. vangi bath masala is ready.
VANGI BATH RICE PREPARATION:
- firstly, in a large kadai heat 2 tbsp oil, add 1 tsp mustard, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp urad dal, 1 tsp chana dal, 2 tbsp peanut.
- saute and splutter on medium flame.
- now add few curry leaves and 1 dried red chilli. saute well.
- further add 2 brinjal and saute for 2 minutes.
- also add ¼ tsp turmeric, ½ cup tamarind extract and ½ tsp salt.
- mix well, cover and boil for 5 minutes.
- now add 2 tbsp of prepared vangi bath masala powder, ½ tsp jaggery and mix well.
- add 3 cup cooked rice and ½ tsp salt.
- mix well making sure the masala is well combined with rice.
- cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until the flavours are absorbed well.
- finally, add 2 tbsp coriander and enjoy vangi bath with raita.