Moong dal dosa is a convenient substitute, faster and easier to prepare than the traditional dosa. Traditional dosas are made with fermented urad dal and rice.
Moong Dal Dosa, also known as “cheela” or “puda, is a thin, crisp pancake made from any one of a variety of batters.
ingredients Moongdal dosa:-
- 1 cup washed moong dal
- 1 chopped green chili
- 1/4 inch piece of ginger chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp oil
Methods for making Moongdal Dosa:-
- Wash the dal, changing the water several times until it appears clear. Soak dal in four cups of water for at least four hours.
- Drain the water. Blend the dal with green chile and ginger, adding water slowly as needed to make a smooth batter. Note: The less water, the smoother the batter.
- Mix the salt and cumin seeds into the batter. Add water as needed. The total water added will be about ½ cup, just enough to achieve the consistency of pancake batter.
- Place a non-stick- skillet over medium-high heat. Test by sprinkling a few drops of water on it. The water should sizzle right away.
5. Pour ½ cup of the batter mixture into the skillet and spread evenly with the back of a spoon. Starting from the center, spiral outward until evenly spread, about seven inches in diameter.
6. When the batter begins to dry, gently spread one teaspoon of oil over it. Wait about 30 seconds, then flip the puda using a flat spatula.
7.Press the dosa lightly with the spatula all around to assure even cooking, turning them two to three times. Dosa should be crisp and golden brown on both sides.Repeat for the remaining dosas.