Mango shrikhand/Amrakhand is made from hung card , some chopped dry fruits and powder sugar.
Amrakhand recipe or Mango shrikhand – A variation to the plain shrikhand recipe. This is the popular version in Maharashtra. This is simple recipe. Mango pulp is added to the plain shrikhand.
Making mango shrikhand is easy but time consuming, of course it does not require your active time. We need thick, hung yogurt/curd. For that, water or the whey has to drain out completely. This will take about 4-5 hours at least.
Once you get the thick, strained yogurt aka ‘Chakka’, you will need to add rest of the ingredients and mix. It will take roughly 10-15 minutes and you are done.
Ingredients for amrakhand recipe:–
- 2 cups Plain fresh yogurt
- ¼ cup Sugar powdered into blender or grinder
- few strands Saffron crushed into mortar and pestle
- 1 teaspoon Milk
- ¼ teaspoon Green cardamom seeds powder
- ½ cup Mango pulp or puree ~ 1 small mango pureed into blender
- 4 tablespoons Chopped nuts (almonds, cashews, pistachios) option.
Instructions for making Chakka Shrikhand:-
Making hung curd or chakka:
- Take a dip bowl and a strainer. Select the bowl or mug which is dip, so the strainer is not touching the collected liquid in the bowl.
- Put the muslin cloth or man’s handkerchief or clean, pure cotton cloth over the strainer.
- Add plain yogurt into the prepared strainer.
- Gather the cloth edges and if you squeeze it lightly, tie the edges of the cloth.
- Now keep this whole thing into the refrigerator for at least 4-5 hours. You can keep it overnight too.
- After 5 hours, all the liquid/whey has been drained out. You will left with very thick yogurt aka hung curd or chakka.
Making mango shrikhand recipe or Amrakhand recipe:
- crush the saffron in mortar and pestle.
- Also warm up the milk in microwave for few seconds.
- Add crushed saffron into the warm milk and stir. Keep it aside.
- Take chopped mango into the blender.
- Blend it till you get smooth puree.
- Take that hung curd into a bowl.
- Now add powdered sugar, cardamom powder and saffron milk into the thick yogurt.
- Stir it well using spoon till everything is incorporated well. Make sure there are no lumps. Do not whisk or stir vigorously.
- Now add prepared mango pulp. If you want you can add chopped nuts at this time.
- Again mix it using spoon till everything is well combined.
- Chill into the refrigerator for few hours before serving.