Custard Toast Bites – is custard flavored with saffron and cardamom and served over toasted bread.
This recipe is definitely un-traditional but nonetheless a delicious approach. This is super easy to make and you can call this Custard Bruschetta. Custard Toast Bites can be served as a dessert or tea time snack.
Ingredients for Custard Toast Bites:-
- 12 thin slices of French bread bruschetta (or use the regular size bread and cut them to size you will like)
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ½ Tbsp corn starch
- Pinch saffron
- ⅛ tsp cardamom powder
- 1 Tbsp sliced almond
- 1 Tbsp sliced pistachios
Methods for making Custard Toast Bites:-
- In a heavy bottom pan; stir in the milk, cream, cornstarch, sugar, cardamom powder and saffron. Make sure the corn flour has dissolved completely, no lumps.
- Turn the heat to medium and bring the milk mixture to a boil, stirring continuously. Turn the heat to low. Keep stirring until the mixture thickens. It is important to keep stirring continuously to avoid burning and the lumps.
- Milk mixture should be consistency of thick batter. This should take about 3-4 minutes. Remember as custard will cool of it will become thicker. Turn off the heat and sliced almonds mix it well. The custard is ready.
- Lightly butter the bread from both sides and toast to make them crisp.