The basic falooda recipe, a milk based dessert, has rose syrup, falooda sev or vermicelli made from arrowroot or corn flour, milk, falooda seeds (basil seeds) and ice cream going into it.
This multi-textured summer drink has made its entry into many countries like India, Pakistan, Middle East, Bangladesh, Myanmar (Burma) and Turkey. The Parsis who migrated to India from Iran introduced this sweet concoction to the Indian people. It is an integral part of the menus of street food hawkers that sell drinks, ice cream parlours and restaurants which serve numerous variations to the basic falooda recipe.
Indian falooda recipe has evolved into various flavors like saffron, pista, mango, strawberry, chocolate, rabri etc. Fruit falooda is also very popular where the basic falooda recipe is layered with fresh cut fruits.
Falooda sev can be made at home using corn flour. Falooda seeds need to soak for a few minutes to swell. Use full fat milk and I usually boil the milk till it reduces to three fourth of its original quantity as it does wonders to enhance the creaminess and flavor. Use good quality rose syrup or rooh afsa. Pistachios and almonds add a bit of crunch and richness to the falooda. Top it off with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and you have a delicious dessert in a glass.
Ingredients for Falooda:-
- Milk 2 cups, full fat
- Jelly 1/2 cup, cubed (raspberry or strawberry)
- Rose syrup 5-6 tbsps (or rooh afsa)
- Falooda seeds 1 tsp (sabja/basil seeds) soak in 1/3 cup water for 20-30 mts
- Falooda sev 1/2 cup
- Pistachios 5, sliced
- ALmonds 4, sliced
- Vanilla ice cream 4 scoops
- Cherries 2, for garnish (optional)
Method for making Falooda recipe:-
- Bring milk to boil and simmer till it reduces to 1 1/2 cups. Turn off flame and bring to room temperature. Add 1 1/2 to 2 tbsps of rose syrup to the milk and mix. Chill until use.
- Make jelly by following the instructions on the packet. Cool and refrigerate. Once cool, cut into small cubes and set aside.
- Make falooda sev by following the link provided above. Place in cold water and refrigerate until use.
- Soak falooda seeds in water for 30 mts and allow to bloom. Set aside.
- Chill the serving glasses in the fridge for half an hour.
- To assemble falooda: Take the chilled serving glass and add a generous tbsp of rose syrup or rooh afsa.
- Add 2 tbsps of jelly cubes, followed by 2 heaped tbsps of bloomed falooda seeds.
- Next layer with 1/4 cup of falooda sev/noodles. Slowly pour the chilled rose milk till 3/4th of the glass. Next add two scoops of vanilla ice cream on top.
- Finally drizzle some rose syrup, garnish with sliced nuts and a cherry. Serve immediately to avoid the ice cream from melting and over flowing.