Fafda is one type of Gathiya which is rectangular in shape and yellow in color and prepared with Besan or Gram Flour.
Fafda – is a famous crispy deep-fried Gujarati snack (or Farsan) mainly served during breakfast in the festive season.
you might have heard the name Fafda-Jalebi many times. It is one of the most loved street foods among Gujarati people.
To prepare Fafda, besan (Bengal gram flour), oil, carom seeds (ajwain), papad khar, salt to taste. Amalgamate all the ingredients in a bowl and create a mixture, make dough of the mixture using enough water and Make small rolls of the dough and roll in a cylindrical shape, and after flattening, deep-fry till it turns crispy.
It is served with a chutney and salty fried-green chilis.Fafda is also accompanied with spicy shredded vegetables colloquially called “sambharo”.
Ingredients for Fafda:-
- Besan / Chickpea flour – 1 cup
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Water – 2 tbsp + more if needed
- Carom seeds – ¼ tsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Hing – a pinch
- Cooking soda – ⅛ tsp
- Black pepper powder – ¼ tsp
- Oil for frying
Instructions for making Fafda snacks :-
- Take a besan in a mixing flour. Sieve it 2-3 times.
- Beat water and oil using a hand whisk or blend them in a mixer.
- Or Directly add them into flour.
- Add salt, carom seeds, hing, and black pepper powder.
- Mix them well and make a nice dough.
- I didn’t add any extra water.
- Transfer the dough into another greased bowl and knead it for 4-5 minutes.
- Cover it and keep it aside for 25 – 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, heat the oil in a wide Kadai.
- Divide dough into 25 equal parts.
11. Take one part and roll into a long log or sausage.
12. Place it at the one edge of the rolling board.
13. Place the edge of your palm on it.
14. By applying pressure, stretch it to another end of the board.
15. From the same side insert the knife and lift it from the board.
16. The same way prepares 2-3 fafda.
17.To check, drop a small ball of dough in hot oil.
18. Fry them in hot oil for 3-4 minutes or until done.
19. Flip them halfway and fry until bubbles disappear.
19. Follow the step and make fafda from the rest of the dough.
20. Serve them with warm jalebis and papaya sambhara on the occasion of Dusherra.