Watermelon is a delicious and refreshing fruit that’s also good for health. It contains only 46 calories per cup but is high in vitamin C, vitamin A and many healthy plant compounds.
Here are the top 9 health benefits of eating watermelon:-
1. Watermelon helps You Hydrate :-Interestingly, watermelon contain 92% water.The combination of water and fiber means you’re eating a good volume of food without a lot of calories.
2. Contains Nutrients and Beneficial Plant Compounds:One cup (154 grams) of watermelon has many other nutrients as well, including these vitamins and minerals:
- Vitamin C: 21% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI)
- Vitamin A: 18% of the RDI
- Potassium: 5% of the RDI
- Magnesium: 4% of the RDI
- Vitamins B1, B5 and B6: 3% of the RDI
- Watermelon is also high in carotenoids, including beta-carotene and lycopene. Plus, it has citrulline, an important amino acid.
3. Contains Compounds That May Help Prevent Cancer:-Researchers have studied lycopene and other individual plant compounds in watermelon for their anti-cancer effects.
4. May Improve Heart Health:Heart disease is the number one cause of death worldwide. Studies suggest that lycopene may help lower cholesterol and blood pressure. It can also help prevent oxidative damage to cholesterol.Several nutrients in watermelon have specific benefits for heart health.
5. May Lower Inflammation and Oxidative Stress :-Inflammation is a key driver of many chronic diseases.Watermelon may help lower inflammation and oxidative damage, as it’s rich in the anti-inflammatory antioxidants lycopene and vitamin C.
6. May Help Prevent Macular Degeneration:-Lycopene is found in several parts of the eye where it helps protect against oxidative damage and inflammation.It may also prevent age-related macular degeneration (AMD). This is a common eye problem that can cause blindness in older adults.
7. May Help Relieve Muscle Soreness:–Citrulline, an amino acid in watermelon, may reduce muscle soreness. It’s also available as a supplement.Interestingly, watermelon juice appears to enhance the absorption of citrulline.
8. Is Good for Skin and Hair:- Two vitamins in watermelon — A and C — are important for skin and hair health. Vitamin C helps your body make collagen, a protein that keeps your skin supple and your hair strong.
9. Can Improve Digestion:- Watermelon contains lots of water and a small amount of fiber — both of which are important for healthy digestion. Fiber can provide bulk for your stool, while water helps keep your digestive tract moving efficiently.
Ingredients for watermelon Juice:-
- 2 cups watermelon, diced
- 1 cup water (or coconut water)
- 1 tablespoon simple syrup or granulated sugar, to taste
- Lime juice (optional)
Methods to prepare watermelon juice:-
Step 1: Blend It
Add the diced watermelon and water to your blender and puree until smooth. Add more water if you prefer a smoother consistency. Alternately, if you like a more slushie-like texture, add in some ice.
Step 2: Flavor It
Depending on the sweetness of your watermelon, you can sweeten with simple syrup or sugar. (Learn how to make simple syrup here.) You can also give your drink a tart, refreshing squeeze of lime juice.
Make the Drink Your Own
Once you’ve got the basic watermelon juice recipe down, it’s time to get clever. Add fresh mint, fruit juice or even coconut milk! One of our favorite summer refreshments is this watermelon cooler made with lemonade