Amla, otherwise known as Indian Gooseberry, has traditionally been used for centuries in Indian medicine because of its digestive and astringent properties. It also has many other health benefits, and is an amazing boost for people having a cold as it boosts their immune system, and helps relieve the symptoms of cold. Amla is also very good for your hair – it prevents the appearance of grey hair. Amla truly deserves its superfood status.
If you are not already convinced, read this long list of amla’s health benefits and you would know why you should indulge in this sour treat daily.
1. It helps fight the common cold
The vitamin C in amla is absorbed more easily by the body compared to store-bought supplements. Mix two teaspoons of amla powder with two teaspoons of honey and have it three to four times a day for instant relief when you have a cold or a cough or consume once daily for permanent protection.
2. It improves eyesight
Studies have shown that the carotene in amla improves vision. Daily consumption has also been linked to improvement in overall eye health as amla can reduce cataract problem, intraocular tension (the pressure you feel) as well as prevent reddening, itching, and watering of eyes.
3. It burns fat
This is the least talked-about yet most exciting benefit of amla. A protein present in amla helps prevent cravings. Regular consumers say drinking a glass of amla juice before a meal fills them up and make them eat less. Nutritionists say amla boosts metabolism too, making one shed weight faster. Amla has high fiber content and acids like tannic which help relieve constipation and make you look less bloated.
4. It builds immunity
Amla’s antibacterial and astringent properties boost one’s immune system. A significant number of health problems including cancer are caused by oxidative damage –when body cells use oxygen, they leave harmful by-products called free radicals behind. Considering amla is a potent antioxidant agent, it can prevent and repair the damage.
5. Amla beautifies hair
Amla, like curry leaves, is a proven tonic for hair. It slows down graying, prevents dandruff, strengthens hair follicles, and increases blood circulation to the scalp thereby improving hair.
6. It improves skin
Amla is the best anti-aging fruit. Drinking amla juice with honey every morning can give you blemish-free, healthy and glowing skin.
7. It helps manage chronic conditions
Amla is loaded with chromium which aids in reducing bad cholesterol and also helps stimulate insulin production, thereby reducing the blood glucose level of diabetics. Drinking amla juice early every morning or when one’s blood pressure is raised helps keep the blood pressure level under control, too.
8. It relieves pain
Be it arthritis-related joint aches or painful mouth ulcers, amla can provide relief owing to its anti-inflammatory properties. For ulcers, you simply need to dilute amla juice in half a cup of water and gargle with it.
Ingredient needed for Amla juice:-
Ingredients Need for Amla juice:-
- 1 kg of amla berries (2.2 lbs – about 1 kg)
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tsp of honey
- A pinch of black salt
- A cloth (for straining)
Steps to Make Fresh Amla Juice at Home:-
- The first step is to wash them properly and then cut every amla berry you have in half to remove the seed. Place these halves in a big bowl or jar.
- When you are done cutting all of them, crush the berries properly. Crush them till they turn into a paste.
- Now, put this paste in a straining cloth and place it over a bowl. Squeeze the content tightly so that you get the juice in the bowl. Squeeze it till you have taken out all the juice.
- Put the bowl aside. Take the leftover pulp from the cloth and put it in a juicer or a mixer. Add the resulting liquid and blend.
- Remember to clean the cloth since you will be using it again. Strain the juice you get after blending.
- You will get around 650 ml of amla juice from this juice.
- we can then add 1 cup of water and blend it all together. You can keep this in the fridge for around fifteen days.
- When you are going to serve your juice, you can add one pinch of black salt and two teaspoons of honey. This will give your juice an amazing flavour. The juice is more enjoyable when served cool.