Pheni/ Khaja is one of the most favored of current trending meals on earth. It’s simple, it’s fast, it tastes delicious. It’s appreciated by millions every day. They are nice and they look wonderful.
Pheni recipe is a traditional recipe from Odisha puri, which is included in Lord Jagannath mahaprasad odisha. this is made with all purpose flour.
Making pheni is very simple and need only three ingredients – All purpose flour or miada, sugar and oil.
Ingredients for Pheni sweets:-
- Maida- 500gm+ 50 gm (roughly 2 tablespoons)
- Refined oil- 100ml ( roughly ½ cup)+ extra for deep frying
- sugar – 1kg for syrup.
Methods for preparing Pheni at home:-
- Mix in 50 ml (around 1/4 cup) oil in ½ kg all purpose flour, rub the flour till it is well coated with oil.
- Slowly add water tablespoon by tablespoon, to make a tight dough ( tighter than chapatti dough)
- Using a rolling pin, flatten the kneaded dough , slightly thicker than a chapatti.
- Make a paste of 50 ml oil+ 50 gm maida (roughly 2 tablepsoons), spread this paste uniformly over the rolled dough.
- Starting from longer side, start rolling the flat chapatti .
- Cut into 2 inch pieces.
- flatten it slightly with palm, using a rolling pin again roll it into uniform stripes. They should be of uniform thickness.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a wok, take care not to heat it till fuming hot. The oil should be medium hot .
- On low flame leave the flattened strips slowly into the oil, frying and turning them in between. All through the process the flame should be low. Frying till golden brown may take 15-18 minutes.
- Take them out on kitchen napkin to drain off the excess oil. Allow them to cool.
- Melt 1 kg sugar in 2 cups of water over medium flame, keep stirring in between.
- Check the consistency of syrup in between, it should come to one string consistency when pressed between thumb and index finger.
- Once the string consistency is achieved, switch off the flame.
- Leave the pheni into the syrup for soaking, using a spatula take them out after draining excess syrup.
- Pack in airtight containers, they store well for long time.