Apple Cake is the perfect Fall dessert, with its chunks of apples and nuts wrapped in a cinnamon-laced batter.
It is delicious with a dollop of softly whipped cream, a small scoop of vanilla ice cream, or with a little heavy cream poured over the top.
First there is the mound of peeled and chopped apples, tossed with a little lemon juice to keep them from turning brown.
Next to the apples is a pile of chopped walnuts or pecans, all brown and aromatic from being toasted in the oven. Once that is done I’m ready to make the cake batter.
In another bowl I mix the eggs with the melted butter, vanilla extract, and milk. I add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until everything is moistened. All that is left is to fold in the chopped apples and chopped nuts. Once the batter is poured into the cake pan and placed in the oven, the waiting begins.
First wait for the scents of cinnamon and apple to fill the kitchen and then I wait for the apple cake to rise and turn a beautiful golden brown. When it is firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center of the Apple Cake is free of crumbs, pull it from the oven. While the cake is still warm, I like to brush a warm glaze over the cake. The glaze gives the Apple Cake a lovely sheen, plus it adds a more flavor and moisture to the cake.
Ingredients for Apple cake:-
- 150 gm flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 50 gm chilled diced butter
- 150 gm castor sugar
- 2 eggs
- 100 ml milk
- For the topping:
- 3 apples- peeled, cored & sliced
- 2 Tbsp castor sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
Methods for making Apple cake:-
- Sieve flour and baking powder together.
- Add the butter, sugar, eggs and milk and beat it, to form a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter in a cake tin. Arrange the apple slices on its top. Dust with sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake at 190 degrees centigrade until the cake turns golden in color. (30-35 minutes, until a knife inserted comes out clean)
- Cool it before serving.