Scottish Dundee Cake the vast majority of the recipes out there are really just an English fruit cake with the almonds across the top to make it “look” like a Dundee cake. But the traditional version of Scotland’s prized Dundee cake is something quite different.
Besides the flour, butter, sugar, eggs, baking powder and touch of salt, the only other ingredients in an authentic Dundee cake are raisins and/or sultanas, orange zest, almonds, and Seville marmalade.
so, no other dried fruits or nuts, not glacé cherries, no gingerbread or other spices, and no whiskey, brandy or rum used in authentic Dundee cake.
INGREDIENTS for Dundee cake:–
- 3/4 cup (175 g) unsalted butter , softened at room temperature
- 1 cup (175 g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- zest of one orange (Seville if you have it)
- 5 tablespoons Seville orange marmalade
- 1 1/2 cups (225 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup (40 g) almond flour
- 1 1/4 cups (200 g) golden raisins/sultanas (dried white grapes)
- 1 1/4 cups (200 g) raisins
- 20-25 whole blanched almonds
INSTRUCTIONS for making Dundee cake:
- Grease and line an 8-inch round cake pan. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (275 F if using convection).
- Cream the sugar and butter until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, along with a teaspoon or so of the flour to prevent curdling. Add the orange zest and marmalade and beat until combined. Stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt and almond flour. Add this mixture to the wet mixture and stir gently to combine, being careful not to over-stir. Add the sultanas and raisins and stir to combine.
Spoon the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top of it using wetted fingertips or the back of a wet spoon. Arrange the almonds on top of the cake in concentric circles. Position the cake on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 100-120 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. If the cake browns too quickly cover it with aluminum foil. Let the cake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.