Butterfly cupcakes are a quintessential treat that was served at almost every child’s birthday party in the UK and Europian country. Traditional British butterfly cakes are sometimes called fairy cakes, but no matter the name, they are simply delightful.
To make butterfly cupcakes you will need a good vanilla cupcake recipe as a base along with self raising flour , butter , sugar and milk.
Ingredients for butterfly cake:-
- 125g salted butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 125g (4oz) self-raising flour
- 5ml (1tsp) vanilla extract
- 15ml (1tbsp) milk
For the buttercream icing
- 150g unsalted butter
- 250g icing sugar
- 10ml (2tsp) vanilla extract
- 60ml (4tbsp) strawberry jam
- icing sugar, for dusting
Methods for making Butterfly cake:-
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with 9 cupcake cases.
- Put the butter and sugar into a bowl and whisk until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, beating between each addition. If the mixture splits, add a tablespoon of flour and whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Sift the flour into the mixture and using a large metal spoon, then gently fold the flour until well combined. Stir in the vanilla essence and milk. The mixture should easily drop off a spoon.
- Spoon into the cases and cook for 18-20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the cake. What should a clean skewer look like.
- To make the buttercream icing, put the butter in a large bowl and beat until creamy. Sift in the icing sugar and whisk until well combined. Add the vanilla extract. If the mixture is too stiff, add a little milk.
- Cut the top off each cake and then cut the slices in half. Cover each cake with the butter icing. Put a little strawberry jam on top of each cake and push the 2 half-slices into the buttercream at an angle to make a pair of wings.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve.