It’s Christmas time folks and its every Baker’s festival! Cookies, Cakes, Puddings, Breads,my oven works overtime in December.The cream cheese is home made and gives a perfect texture to the pound cake.These cakes bring the ever-popular combination of strawberries and cream to each decadent slice.
Strawberry cream cheese pound cake completely versatile and comes together with not much effort in as little time as possible. Especially when we’re craving a sweet treat but don’t really have the time or energy to make something that involved. This cake is for all of us at the moment.
Ingredients for Orange cream cheese pound cake :
- Butter – ½ cup (100 grams packet of Amul butter )
- Cream cheese – 2/3 cup (150 grams) read note
- Granulated sugar (measure and then powder)- 1 cup
- All purpose flour – 1 ½ cups minus 3 tablespoons
- Corn flour/ custard powder- 3 tablespoons
- Eggs- 3
- Baking powder- 3/4 teaspoon
- Baking soda- 1/2 teaspoon
- Vanilla extract- 1 teaspoon
- Orange zest – 1-2 teaspoons ( from 1 orange)
- Prepared Orange compote – 5-6 teaspoons ( recipe below)
Recipe for Orange compote:
- Oranges- 2 no.s (medium sized, peel the wedges and keep aside)
- Granulated sugar- 1/2 cup
- water- 1/4 cup
Methods for making Strawberry cream cheese pound cake:-
- Juice 7-8 wedges of oranges ( about half of an orange) with 1/4 cup water.
- In a thick bottomed pan, add orange juice, remaining peeled orange wedges ( do not chop it, we need the chunky oranges in the final compote).
- Add sugar and cook on low flame for 15 to 20 minutes. Keep stirring intermittently .
- Once the mixture thickens, switch off the flame, allow it cool.
- The compote will be slightly liquidy. Just remove excess juice from the compote, add it back to pan.
- Once the juice starts boiling, lower the flame, add cranberries and black raisins or any other dry fruit you are using for the cake.
- Boil for 5-10 minutes till the fruits turn plump and soft. Switch off the flame, keep aside and use in the recipe later.
Procedure to make strawberry cream cheese pound cake: (Yields one loaf cake and 5-6 cup cakes)
- Grease and line a loaf tin ( 9 ‘ x 4 ‘ ).
- Sift flour, custard powder, baking powder and baking soda, using a dry whisk mix the dry ingredients well and keep aside.
- In a stand mixer/ hand blender, beat cream cheese and butter for 5 -6 minutes until well mixed, light and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar in 3-4 increments of 1/4 cup at a time and continue beating until all the sugar gets well mixed.
- After all the sugar is mixed in, add an egg to the butter-sugar mixture and beat it well.
- Add vanilla extract, orange compote, orange zest and ½ cup of flour mixture, blend well.
- Repeat the process of adding another egg, beat, vanilla extract-orange compote-orange zest, mix, ½ cup flour mix.
- Add the third egg, vanilla-orange and last increment of flour mixture, give a good mix until it forms a uniform blend.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin.
- Place in cold oven (non-preheated) and switch it on to 170 degrees C. Bake for 60 – 70 minutes, until a tooth pick inserted at the centre of the cake comes out clean. Pour the remaining batter if any into small cup cake moulds, bake them for 12- 15 minutes, until they are done.