Mirchi bajjis or menasinakai bajjis or mirapakaya bajjis are made with big, fat, light green coloured chillies often sold as “bajji mirchis” in the stores.
Stuffedmirchi bajjis are a popular street food in Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana. They are known as “Mirapakaya bajji” in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana.
They are locally known as “Menasinakai bajji” in Karnataka and a common accompaniment with girmit. Girmit is a spicy North Karnataka street food made of puffed rice or murmura.
The seeds & pith of the chillies are removed. Then the chillies are stuffed with a tangy spice mix, dipped in seasoned gram flour batter and deep fried. For the stuffed version of this delicacy, after deep frying they are stuffed with a spicy-tangy mix of onions.
This street food is easy to put together and not time consuming at all. The spicy-tangy, crunchy flavours tickle your taste buds leaving you crave for more and make for a perfect teatime snack.
INGREDIENTS FOR Menasinkai /Mirchi Bhaji:
- 6 chilli 6 chilli
- 2 cup besan / gram flour 2 cup besan / gram flour
- ¼ cup rice flour ¼ cup rice flour
- ¼ tsp turmeric ¼ tsp turmeric
- Half tsp chilli powder ½ tsp chilli powder
- ¼ tsp ajwain / carom seeds ¼ tsp ajwain / carom seeds
- ½ tsp salt ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup water ½ cup water
- ¾ cup water ¾ cup water
- ¼ tsp baking soda ¼ tsp baking soda
- oil, for frying oil, for frying
FOR ONION MASALA:
- 1 onion, finely chopped 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander, finely chopped 2 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
- ½ tsp chilli powder ½ tsp chilli powder
- Half tsp chaat masala ½ tsp chaat masala
- ½ tsp cumin powder ½ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp salt ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp sev 2 tbsp sev.
- You may also like these sweets reecipe : Rosogolla recipe, Gulab jamun , Kerala Jalebi recipe, Channa/mawa jalebi recipe, Carrot/Gajor ka halwa.
INSTRUCTIONS Menasinkai / Mirchi Bhaji Preparations:
- firstly, wipe the chilli clean and slit in centre.
- remove seeds to create some space to fill onion masala at the end.
- now in a large bowl take 2 cup besan, ¼ cup rice flour.
- add ¼ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp chilli powder, ¼ tsp ajwain and ½ tsp salt. mix well.
- now add ½ cup water and mix well.
- add water as required and prepare a smooth thick batter.
- further add ¼ tsp baking soda and mix well.
- now dip the chilli in besan batter and drop in hot oil.
- deep fry on medium flame stirring occainnally.
- fry until the bajji turns golden brown and crisp.
- drain off over the kitchen paper to remove excess oil from mirapakaya bajji.
ONION MASALA PREPARATION:
- in a small bowl take 1 onion, 2 tbsp coriander, ½ tsp chilli powder, ½ tsp chaat masala, ½ tsp cumin powder, ¼ tsp salt and 1 tsp lemon juice.
- mix well making sure everyhting is combined properly.
- now open the mirchi bajji and stuff the onion masala.
- finally, garnish with 2 tbsp sev and enjoy masala mirchi bajji with chai.