Egg bonda is prepared with hard boiled eggs and besan or gram flour as main ingredients. Moreover, this is a low carb recipe.
Egg bonda/bajji/pakora is a famous south Indian snack recipe. Serve this as a tasty evening snack with hot tea. My family is full of egg lovers and I have learned to cook many egg recipes over the years.
Adding eggs often in kids menu is very healthy. Eggs are known to have high vitamin A and protein content. Those who have a problem with the digestion of egg yolk can opt to follow the same recipe only with boiled egg white. But for kids, it is recommended to give both egg white and yolk to get the whole health benefits.
Ingredients for Egg pakoda:-
- 6 Eggs
- 1 cup Besan/ Gram Flour
- one teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Chaat Masala
- 1 teaspoon Coriander/Dhaniya Powder
- 225 ml Water
- Oil for deep frying
Instructions for Egg Bonda/Egg Pakoda:-
- Take a mixing bowl and crack 6 eggs in it.
- Then add a teaspoon of red chili flakes and salt on the eggs.
- With a hand whisk the eggs, salt, and red chili flakes until all of these are well blended and then keep the egg mixture in the bowl aside.
- Now, take a glass tray and apply some oil on it. Brush the oil on all the sides of the tray and gently pour the egg batter in the glass tray.
- Heat water and when it becomes is hot enough place the greased tray on it. Cover and let it steam for 10-15 mins.
- When the egg batter is well steamed, switch off the heat and take off the lid. You can check if it is well steamed by inserting a knife or toothpick in it. If it comes out clean, then the eggs are well steamed.
- Allow it to cool down and then cut them in small pieces.
Start heating oil for deep frying in a wok or kadai.
- While oil if being heated, In another bowl start making the batter for the pakoda.
- Take a cup of besan and add a teaspoon of red chili powder, half a teaspoon turmeric powder, and salt to taste.
- After that add half a teaspoon of ginger paste/crushed and a teaspoon of coriander and chaat masala.
- With a spoon mix, the ingredients well and add water in small batches to make a batter of thick consistency.
- Now, heat oil in a pan, when oil starts to smoke gently coat one piece of egg pakora in the besan batter and pour it in the pan.
- Likewise, pour 3-4 more pakoras in the pan. Try not to overcrowd the pan by adding too many pakoras at a time.
- Deep fry until they are golden brown. When all the pakoras are fried, switch off the heat and serve the pakoras topped with onion, coriander and lime juice.