Chickpeas and spinach is a marvelous combination, and Chole Palak is a healthy, protein-rich dish. Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans and kabuli chana, are immersed in spicy spinach gravy.
Palak / Spinach- is High in Iron and also vitamin a, c and k, hence it is highly nutritious leafy vegetables.
Chhole Palak is another version of chole recipe. Chhole Palak is made in North Indian style. This is a very healthy recipe due to a combination of spinach and chickpeas.
This is north Indian or Punjabi style of making curry. It has basic onion-tomato based gravy along with spinach and chole.There are no much spice powder are added here, still tastes fantastic. For spicy taste, only green chilies are added. So adjust the amount.
Ingredients need for Palak chole sabzi:
- 1 15oz can of chickpea (chole, garbanzo)
- 3 cups finely chopped spinach (palak)
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1/2″piece ginger (adrak)
- 1 green chili
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder (dhania)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- half teaspoon red pepper adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- half teaspoon garam masala
Methods for palak sabzi:-
- Drain the chickpeas and rinse well.
- Blend the tomatoes, green chilies, and ginger to make a puree.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if seed cracks right away, oil is ready. Add the asafetida and cumin seeds. When the cumin seeds crack, add the tomato puree, coriander powder, turmeric, and red chili powder.
- Cook three to four minutes on medium heat. The tomato mixture will separate from the oil and reduce to about half in quantity.
- Add spinach, salt, and one-half cup of water. Cook, covered, four to five minutes on medium heat.
- Add the chickpeas and mash them lightly with a spatula. Add more water as needed to keep the gravy consistency to your liking. Cook on low heat for seven to eight minutes. Add the garam masala.