This is a nice green bean curry recipe from southern Indian. It incorporates all the lovely flavours that the area is known for such as coconut, chillies, mustard seeds and curry leaves. All of these lovely ingredients work together to create an amazing green bean curry that can be served as a side dish but can also easily stand on its own as a main course.
INGREDIENTS FOR GREEN BEANS CURRY:-
- 3 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter
- 1 red onion – cut into thin slices
- 6 green chillies – halved
- 1 inch piece of ginger – finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic – smashed and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 12 fresh curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 3 chopped tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons freshly grated coconut
- 400g fresh green beans trimmed and cut
- salt and pepper to taste
INSTRUCTIONS for Green Beans curry:-
- Heat the ghee in a large saucepan or wok over medium heat.
- Add the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- When the mustard seeds begin to pop, add the onion and fry until it is translucent and lightly browned – about three minutes
- Now add the green chillies, ginger, garlic, turmeric and chilli powder. Cook stirring constantly for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the green beans, tomatoes and about a quarter cup of water. Cover and allow to simmer until the green beans are cooked through and tender to the bite.
- Throw in your grated coconut. Mix well and add salt and pepper to taste.
- You may also like these sweets reecipe : Rosogolla recipe, Gulab jamun , Kerala Jalebi recipe, Channa/mawa jalebi recipe, Carrot/Gajor ka halwa.