Mushroom Dum Biryani Recipe / Hyderabadi style Mushroom Biryani Recipe – Lip-smacking biryani recipe from scratch home style.
The time you spend to make this Mushroom Dum Biryani Recipe will be worth it. Ideal for a Sunday lunch and I promise you wont miss the meat. This Hyderabadi style mushroom biryani is lip-smacking and super delicious that you will always have that little extra serving than usual.
Ingredients needed for Mushroom Biriyani:-
- 1 cup basmati rice 200 grams, soaked for 20 minutes in 2 cups water and then drained
- 2 tablespoons oil 30 ml, I used avocado oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 4 whole green cardamom
- 3 whole cloves
- 5-6 black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon shahi jeera (black cumin seeds) or use regular cumin seeds.
- One medium red onion sliced thin
- 1 green chili sliced, or add more to taste
- 12-15 whole cashews
- 2 teaspoons ginger-garlic paste
- 8-10 oz white mushrooms sliced thick
- 1/2 cup coconut milk 4 oz
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 cup water 8 oz
- 1/2 teaspoon rose water optional
Instructions for Mushroom Biriyani:-
1. Before you start, rinse the basmati rice until water turns clear. Then soak it in 2 cups water for 20 minutes and then drain the water using a colander and set it aside.
- Press the saute button on the Instant Pot. Once it displays hot, add the oil and then add the whole spices- bay leaf, cinnamon stick, green cardamom, cloves, peppercorns and shahi jeera. Saute for few seconds until the spices are fragrant.
- Then add the sliced onion, green chili and cashews. Cook for around 3 minutes until the onions are soft and light brown and cashews are lightly browned too. Then add in the ginger-garlic paste and cook for 1 minute.
- 4- Add in the mushrooms and cook them for 1 to 2 minutes. Remember to slice them thick. You can add more mushrooms if you want here.
- Then add in the coconut milk and stir. Once you add the milk, use your spatula to scrape the bottom and de-glaze the pot. Since you sautéed the onion, there will be brown bits at the bottom and you want to get rid of it else the pot won’t come to pressure.
- Add the chopped cilantro and mint. Then add the garam masala, smoked paprika and salt.
- Add the rinsed and drained rice and toss to combine with the rest of the ingredients.
- Add water, don’t stir, most of the rice should be under water. Then add the rose water (if using) on top.
- Close the pot with its lid. Press the manual or pressure cook button and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes, with the pressure valve in the sealing position. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Open the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve Mushroom Biryani with a side of yogurt or raita.