Chicken Biryani is a highly-aromatic, mouthwatering staple dish that needs no introduction. Because of its endless nuanced flavors, it is perhaps the most comforting meal of Indian cuisine.
Packed with fragrant rice and juicy, tender pieces of chicken, it’s a perfect one-pot dinner recipe that your whole family will love.
This is a delicious Pakistani/Indian rice dish which is often reserved for very special occasions such as weddings, parties, or holidays such as Ramadan. It has a lengthy preparation, but the work is definitely worth it.
For biryani, always use long grain rice. Basmati rice with its thin, fine grains is the ideal variety to use. Ghee is butter that has been slowly melted so that the milk solids and golden liquid have been separated and can be used in place of vegetable oil to yield a more authentic taste.
Bring that biryani casserole to the table and let it’s oh-so-good aroma steal the spotlight
If you love the combination of rice and chicken, then you would want to hold on to this recipe. All our family and friends love this Biryani.
At my house, Biryani is one meal my family will never get bored of. Chicken Biryani
If I have Biryani on the meal plan twice a week, my family would happily devour it without complaints. It’s that good!
Biryani (also pronounced as biriyani), literally means ” a layered rice dish in Indian cuisine.”
It is essentially a dish that is packed with layer upon layer of spiced protein and/or vegetables, along with fluffy rice, fragrant spices, and fried onions. Chicken Biryani
Biryani is known all around the world for its fragrant smell, delicious flavors, and intensely aromatic ingredients.
It is generally made with a choice of chicken, lamb, paneer, or vegetables, and therefore, you will find many variations of Biryani all around the Asian subcontinent.
INGREDIENTS for Chicken Biriyani:-
» Chicken – I prefer to cook Biryani with a combo of chicken drumsticks and chicken thighs as they don’t dry out during the cooking process.
» Rice – Biryani is all about rice; therefore, use extra-long Basmati rice for this recipe.
» Ginger and Garlic paste – the basic flavoring squad. how to make chicken Biryani
» Fresh herbs – cilantro and mint leaves.
» Onions – lots of them. We need sliced onions as well as onions for Birista. Birista is fried onions that are a must-have for any Biryani. It adds a rich and royal touch to our Biryani. You can make Birista at home or use store-bought.
» Whole Spices – Bay leaves, whole black cardamom, star anise, cinnamon stick, cloves, peppercorns, and Shahi Jeera.
» Aromatics – Basic spices that make up the masala are – degi mirch, coriander powder, turmeric, garam masala powder, mace, and salt. Chicken Biryani
» Yogurt + lime juice – together they tenderize the meat. It creates an acidic environment, and that makes the chicken juicy and tender.
» Ghee + oil – to cook the biryani.
Ingredients for Chicken Biriyani:-
Original recipe yields 7 servings
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and halved
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- half teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- Two tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 (2 inch) piece cinnamon stick
- 5 pcs Chicken Drumstick and l thigh
- 2 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 pinch powdered saffron
- 5 pods cardamom
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 (1 inch) piece cinnamon stick
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pound basmati rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
Directions for making chicken Biriyani:-
- Step 1 In a large skillet, in 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or ghee) fry potatoes until brown, drain and reserve the potatoes. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the skillet and fry onion, garlic and ginger until onion is soft and golden. Add chili, pepper, turmeric, cumin, salt and the tomatoes. Fry, stirring constantly for 5 minutes. Add yogurt, mint, cardamom and cinnamon stick. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until the tomatoes are cooked to a pulp. It may be necessary to add a little hot water if the mixture becomes too dry and starts to stick to the pan.
- Step 2 When the mixture is thick and smooth, add the chicken pieces and stir well to coat them with the spice mixture. Cover and cook over very low heat until the chicken is tender, approximately 35 to 45 minutes. There should only be a little very thick gravy left when chicken is finished cooking. If necessary cook uncovered for a few minutes to reduce the gravy.
- Step 3 Wash rice well and drain in colander for at least 30 minutes.
- Step 4 In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil (or ghee) and fry the onions until they are golden. Add saffron, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick, ginger and rice. Stir continuously until the rice is coated with the spices.
- Step 5 In a medium-size pot, heat the chicken stock and salt. When the mixture is hot pour it over the rice and stir well. Add the chicken mixture and the potatoes; gently mix them into the rice. Bring to boil. Cover the saucepan tightly, turn heat to very low and steam for 20 minutes. Do not lift lid or stir while cooking. Spoon biryani onto a warm serving dish.
TIPS TO MAKE THE BEST CHICKEN BIRYANI:-
» Look for the rice that has been properly aged, fragrant, and contains long grains. The aged basmati rice produces a fluffy and aromatic biryani.
» Soak the rice before cooking as this makes the grain stronger. Chicken Biryani.
» Do not overcook the rice, or the biryani will turn out mushy and sticky.
» This chicken biryani gets tons of flavor from its marinade; therefore, marinating the chicken for an hour gives it plenty of time to soak up the flavors, but if you have extra time on hand, leave it overnight.
» Birista or fried onions are a must for this recipe. To make birista at home is pretty straightforward, but if you are using store-bought, always check the date on it. Stale birista will have a smell to them and will ruin the biryani.
» For a crunchy Onion fry, I prefer to coat the onions with cornstarch. If no cornstarch on hand, no worries, use besan instead. Remember to shake off the excess flour, or it will mess up the oil. Chicken Biryani.
» Golden brown onions lend a subtle sweetness to the biryani; therefore, Birista or fried onions should be fried until deep golden brown.
Do not overcook the onions as they will impart a bitter taste. Always fry the onions in batches.
» No Shahi Jeera on hand; substitute it with cumin seeds. Chicken Biryani
» I would recommend using a wide, heavy-bottomed pan for biryani as this will prevent the rice from sticking or burning at the bottom. I have used a dutch oven for my recipe. Chicken Biryani
» Adding ghee on top adds a punch of flavor to the entire recipe
WHAT TO SERVE ALONGSIDE CHICKEN BIRYANI?
Chicken biryani, on its own, is a complete meal and doesn’t need any accompaniments. You can serve biryani with boondi raita, green chutney, and vinegar onions.
Chicken Biryani is a delicious dinner that is so yummy and packed with flavor!!
Give it a try, and I am sure it will soon be added to your list of family favorites.