Chhena jalebi are popular in Odisha and westBengal, one can find sweets are predominantly made out of chenna. Chenna Poda ( which means Burnt Cottage Cheese ), Pahala Rasogolla, Chenna Gaja, Chena Jhili , Rasabali, Kheera to name a few.
Odias and Bengalis are very fond of sweets and no meal is complete without some dessert in the end.
Ingredients for Chhena Jalebi:
For the Jalebis
- 1 Cup Chenna or Paneer Crumbled
- one Tsp Semolina or Sooji
- 1 Tsp Flour or Maida
- 2 Tsp Milk powder
- A Pinch baking powder
For the Sugar Syrup
- 1 1/2 Cups sugar
- 1 Cup water
- 3-4 Cardamoms or Elaichi Crushed
Instructions for making Chhena Jalebi:-
- For the sugar syrup, boil the sugar with the water and crushed cardamoms till one string consistency.It will take around 8-10 minutes.
- While the syrup boils mash the Chenna or Paneer with heel of your hand till there are no coarse grains or lumps and the Chenna is a little pliant .
- Add the semolina, refine flour,baking powder and the milk powder to it and knead it for nearly 10-12 minutes or till it starts releasing oil to make a smooth textured dough.This is the most important step otherwise the Jhilapi will crack when you shape it .
- Keep the dough aside covered for nearly 10 minutes and divide the mixture into 15 equal sized balls.
- Start rolling each ball gently into a cylindrical shape of 5-6 inches of length with the palm of your hand on a plain flat surface.Use a little oil or ghee to roll if the dough is sticky.
6.Now roll the cylindrical rope in the shape of a coil as shown in the pictures and press the end to the coil so that the coil doesn’t disintegrate on frying.
7. Gently lift the coiled jalebi and slide into the hot oil and fry on medium flame till golden brown.
8. Drain the Jhilapis and soak them in the prepared warm sugar syrup for 2-3 hours.
9. Serve warm or chilled and enjoy.