This is an spicy type of biryani that comes from the Gujarat-Sidh region. Memoni Akhni is one of the most common and loved rice recipes of the Memon community.
If perfectly cooked with exact ingredients then it is going to blow your mind. Combining this special Memoni Akhni with Kheer will add stars to your table. .It is made with lamb, yogurt, fried onions and potatoes. Unlike regular Sindhi biryani, it uses very little tomatoes.
There is also minimal use of food colouring so the the colour of this biryani is not orange and hence, allows the rich colour of the meat and the spices to take over.
Ingredients need for Sindh Memoni Mutton Biryani:-
- Rice – 1 Kg (Soak in Water)
- Mutton – 3/4 Kg (Boneless)
- Tomatoes – 6 pcs (Chopped)
- Onion – 4 pcs Medium (Chopped)
- Yogurt – 1 Cup
- Bay Leaves – 3-4 pcs
- Cinnamon Stick – 4 pcs of 1 inch
- Cloves – 6 pcs
- Black Pepper – Whole 1 tbsp
- Jeera Whole – 1 tbsp
- Ginger-Garlic Paste – 2 tbsp
- Haldi – 1 tbsp
- Salt – To Taste
- Edible Oil – 5 tbsp
- Potatoes – 3 Pcs (Peeled and cut into 4)
- Red Chili Powder – 2 tbsp
- Red Chili Flakes – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
Methods for making Sindh Memoni Mutton Biryani:-
- Heat the oil in a pan and add chopped onion to it. Cook until it turns light brown in color. Add meat and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add ginger garlic paste and salt to it. Cook for another 2 minutes and add spices to the mixture along with red chili powder and turmeric powder. Stir occasionally. Cook until the oil starts floating.
- Add tomatoes and red chili flakes to the mixture cook until meat is 80% done. Mix a glass of water and cook for 5-7 minutes. Add potatoes to it. Cook until potatoes are half done.
- Add soaked rice to the mixture and mix it well. Add another half glass water and cover the pot. Cook until the rice is half cooked on medium flame.
- Lower the flame and cook for another 10 minutes. Your appetizing Memoni Akhni is ready to be served. Garnish it with chopped fresh coriander leaves.