Handi Biryani Recipe -Rice cooked on a low flame with layers of vegetables, a variety of masalas and chicken. A beautiful rice recipe that will win many hearts at the dinner table.
This handi biryani is slow cooked over wood fire or charcoal in clay pottery. This Biryani recipe can be cooked in the month of Ramadan and for Eid and other festivities. For those who have induction or gas stove, they can use metallic handi to prepare this dish.
Ingredients for Handi Biriyani:-
- 500 grams Chicken , chopped to bite sized
- 2 cups Rice , (Or jasmine rice as traditionally used)
- 1/2 cup Onion , finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Ginger Juice
- 1 tablespoons Ginger Garlic Paste
- Ghee , to cook, as required
- 1/2 cup Curd (Dahi / Yogurt)
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 3 Cloves (Laung)
- 2 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 1 Black cardamom (Badi Elaichi)
- One inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 1 Mace (Javitri)
- 1 pinch Nutmeg powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Whole Black Peppercorns
- 2 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1 Bay leaf (tej patta)
- One teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1 Dry Red Chilli , coarsely pounded
- 5 cups Hot water
- Salt , to taste
- 2 Whole Egg , boiled
How to make Handi Biryani Recipe With Chicken:-
- To begin making Handi Biryani Recipe With Chicken, first marinate the chopped chicken pieces in a large bowl with curd, salt, half of the pepper powder, half of ginger-garlic paste and red chilli powder for 30 minutes.
- Also soak rice for 20 minutes and drain all the water once done with soaking them, and keep aside.
- Meanwhile, you can cook the eggs till hardboiled. Once the egg is boiled, peel the shell.
- Heat a shallow frying pan with a little oil or ghee. Once hot, slice each egg to four pieces, and fry them on all sides till browned. Reserve these boiled and fried eggs for serving the handi biryani.
- Once the eggs are prepared, the rice is soaked, and the chicken is marinated, proceed with making the biryani.
- In a handi, heat a tablespoon of ghee and on a medium heat, add the marinated chicken pieces along with the leftover marinade. Cook for 5-7 minutes or till the chicken is softer and at least half-cooked. Once done, take them out and keep them aside.
- Add some more ghee into the handi and add ginger juice, cover the handi for a minute to temper the ghee.
8. Add bay leaves, and rest of the whole masalas like clove, cardamom, cinnamon, mace, nutmeg, black pepper, and bay leaves and cook for a minute or till amazingly fragrant.
9. Now add the chopped onions and cook until it is golden brown. Now add the rest of the ginger garlic paste, corsely pounded red chillies, remaining black pepper powder and turmeric powder and cook for about 2 minutes or till the raw smell goes away.
10. add the half done chicken pieces and cook for a few more minutes. Be prepared with the hot water to add to the recipe by this time as well. Amount of hot water also depends on the rice that you are using. We want this to be on the fluffier side and hence, adjust the water accordingly.
11. Check the salt and adjust if required. Bring the biryani to a boil and close the lid, stirring occasionally.
12. Once the mixture has come to a rolling boil, add the drained rice and cook for 15-20 minutes or till the rice is cooked well.
13. While serving, add the boiled and fried eggs that were kept reserved, such that each serving gets at least 2 pieces of the egg too.