Sweet Boondi –is sugar syrup-filled, small balls of gram flour. It is easy to prepare recipe with just 2 basic ingredients – the gram flour and sugar.
You will get these Sweet Boondi in almost every tea stall, small restaurants, and sweets shop. As it a quick and easy recipe thus you can also prepare it at home. The best part of it is, it stays good for around a week in your refrigerator. Thus you can prepare it in large quantities and store it. You can serve it to your guests during festivals and special occasions.
For preparing Boondi for this recipe you require a special perforated Laddle called Boondi Jhara. This Boondi Jhara is different from the normal strainer that we use to cook Poori or Pakora. Boondi Jhara has high edges that help in holding the gram flour batter. Thought you can also use your regular strainer to prepare Boondi but Bundi Jhara is more convenient to use.
Ingredients for Sweet Boondi:-
for Preparing Boondi
- 1 cup gram flour
- 1 pinch baking soda
- 3/4 cup water
- ¼ tsp saffron food colour
for frying Boondi
- oil /ghee for deep frying Boondi
for Sugar Syrup
- ¼ teaspoon green cardamom powder
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
Instructions for making Sweet Boondi:-
Preparation for Sweet Boondi
- In a large mixing bowl take gram flour and to it add baking soda and saffron food colour..
- Then Sieve the gram flour in a separate bowl to prepare Boondi, this step will help you to make a smooth batter of gram flour for a perfect Boondi.
- Now add water in parts in the gram flour to prepare a smooth batter. The consistency of the gram flour solution is very important for preparing Boondi. Therefore, the solution should not be too diluted nor too thick. So, to prepare the right consistency batter, add water bit by bit in the gram flour, and whisk it well with a ladle.
- A perfect gram flour batter should be just slightly thinner than normal Pakoras batter. Even after getting the right consistency of gram flour batter after mixing water in gram flour, keep whisking the batter for at least for 5 to 6 minutes. But always whisk it in one direction only. This beating and mixing of gram flour batter at the end are very important as it helps is joining little air in it. This addition of air helps in getting porous Boondi.
- After you have whisked and mixed the batter well, keep it aside for 10-12 minutes. This helps gram flour grains to absorb water well, this step further improves the quality of your Boondi.
- To check the consistency of the gram flour batter, you can also fry some Boondi. While frying, round porous ball of gram flour should be formed in the oil and it should not be spread. A perfect Boondi should be round and porous.
- If lumps are forming while of frying or you are getting tail in Boondi or it falls in oil like a noodle, then your gram flour solution is thick, add some water, and dilute it. And if the gram flour batter is spreading in the oil, then your solution has become very thin, so it is necessary to thicken it by adding a little gram flour.
- The water added to gram flour depends on the quality of gram flour, so with a little practice and experience, you will easily able to prepare perfect Boondi. Once you get the right consistency, proceed with the next step of frying the Boondi.
Preparing sugar syrup for Sweet Boondi
- Before frying Boondi lets us start preparing sugar syrup for this, mix sugar and water in a pan, and place it on gas over medium flame.
- Stir and mix the sugar with water till the sugar dissolves completely.
- Now to it add one-fourth teaspoon of green cardamom powder and mix it well in the syrup. This will provide a nice flavor to your sweet Boondi.
- Let the syrup boil and cook the sugar syrup until you get the consistency of one thread syrup.
- Once the syrup turns sticky, check its consistency by picking a little syrup on the tip of a spoon. Let the syrup in spoon cool down a little, then touch the syrup in the spoon with your finger and start removing your finger gently, if the syrup extends like a fine thread your syrup is ready. Turn off the gas, cover the syrup. Let it sit till we fry our Boondi.
How to fry Boondi
- For frying Boondi we need perforated spoon ladle called Boondi Jhara. This Boondi Jhara comes with 3 types of holes, for preparing Sweet Boondi we require large hole Boondi Jhara. If you do not have it at your home then you can buy it online too.
- Also, place a large strainer over a pot and keep it aside. We will place our fried Boondi over this strainer, to drain out extra ghee from our fried Boondi later.
- To fry Boondi, fill a heavy wide pan almost half with ghee then place it over medium flame. Let the ghee turn hot.
- The ghee should be moderately hot. To test, drop a pea size batter in the oil, the batter should rise immediately without changing color which means oil is ready for frying Boondi
- Now to fry Boondi place the Boondi Jhara on top of hot ghee maintaining a little distance from the ghee.
- Now pour 2 tablespoons of gram flour batter over Boondi Jhara and start to shaking the Boondi Jhara little up and down over ghee with one hand. You can also tap the Boondi Jhara little with another hand to drop Boondi in oil.
- You will find small circular drops of gram flour batter falling in the oil then they will come up briskly. Keep repeating the above step until the surface of the oil gets filled with Boondi. As soon as the surface of oil gets filled with Boondi stop adding more Boondi in ghee and start to stir them.
- After a minute of stirring take them out of the ghee, we need not turn them crisp and the color of Boondi should not change. Take out the Boondi with the help of a strainer and transfer it over the strainer placed over the pot.
- Now before start frying our next lot of Boondi clean the Boondi Jhara from the top as well as the bottom, by wiping out the extra gram flour batter remaining over it. Ensure the Boondi Jhara holes are open again as the gram flour batter becomes dry and closes the holes since we have placed this over the hot ghee.
- Once you have wiped, cleaned and opened the holes of Boondi Jhara, repeat the above steps and continue frying Boondi.
- After frying all the Boondi, let them rest on the top of the strainer placed over the pot for at least 30 minutes. This step will help drain out all the excess ghee from them.
How to prepare Sweet Boondi
- To prepare sweet Boondi we will transfer our Boondi in the sugar syrup. But ensure the sugar syrup is warm enough. If your syrup has become cold then place it over gas on low flame and make it slightly warm. It should not be very hot.
- Now transfer the Boondi in warm sugar syrup then press the Boondi gently in the syrup with be back of a ladle. Also, mix them with the sugar syrup and keep pressing gently.
- Once all the syrup and Boondi are mixed well keep them to rest for 30 minutes so that Boondi absorbs the sugar syrup well.
- After 30 minutes give the Boondi and sugar syrup again a good mix. Let this sit for 1-2 hours more until the sugar syrup is completely absorbed by Sweet Boondi Recipe and the sugar in the syrup is crystallized.
- After 2 hours our delicious sweet Boondi is ready to eat and serve to your guests. You can also store the sweet Boondi Recipe in an air-tight container for 3-4 days.