Basundi –is a traditional Maharashtrian and Gujrati dessert which is prepared by reducing milk. For flavoring, the dessert cardamom powder and nutmeg powder is used. This dish is served warm as well as chilled. Basundi is one of the most delicious and rich desserts which Maharashtra offers.
Ingredients required for Basundi sweet :-
Milk– I always opt for whole or full-fat milk to make Basundi as it gives the best creamy and rich results. You can also use skim or low-fat milk, but it won’t give the same results.
Saffron – Add in a little saffron, to add that beautiful hint of yellow colour.
Sugar – You can adjust the amount of sugar as per your taste. If you like it to be sweeter, you can increase the amount of sugar too.
Cardamom Powder – Flavour the Basundi a little more with cardamom powder. If you do not have cardamom powder, you can also crush the cardamom seeds and add to flavor the same.
Rose Water – Rose water adds an extra flavor. Not only it enhances the taste, but it also adds to the aroma of Basundi.
Ingredients in quantity:
- 1 and ½ litres Full Fat Milk
- 1 pinch Saffron
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- ½ tsp Cardamom Powder
- ¼ tsp Rose water.
Instructions for making basundi:-
- Put the milk in a heavy bottom pan and heat till it comes to a boil.
- Add saffron in the milk and mix well.
- Simmer the heat and let the milk thicken for almost 1 hour or reduced by half..
- Keep stirring in between.
- When the milk is reduced to ½, add cardamom powder, sugar and rose water.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the slivered nuts.
- Chill nicely before serving.