Shrikhand – is a sweet dish made using hung curd and powdered sugar and is usually served with puri. It is basically an assortment of silky smooth curd, a hint of flavoring, and a crunch of dry fruits.
To make Shrikhand, you require just 3 ingredients. Fresh plain yogurt (curd), powdered sugar, and any flavoring of your choice. You can keep it plain too.
Main Ingredients needs:-
Yogurt – Try to use fresh homemade yogurt. It should not be tangy. If using store-bought yogurt, make sure it’s fresh. Greek yogurt also works great if you are pressed with time. It’s already quite thick so you don’t have to hang it to thicken it.
Sugar – Don’t use the store-bought powdered sugar to sweeten shrikhand. It has cornflour added in it and it is best for baking. Powder the regular sugar in a blender at home and then use it.
Flavoring – I have used saffron and cardamom to flavor my srikhand. You can use any flavoring of your choice.
- 15-20 strands Saffron
- 2 tbsp Milk (Warm)
- 3 cups Yogurt
- ½ cup Powdered sugar
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder
- Dry fruit slivers for garnishing
Instructions for making Shrikhand:-
- Soak saffron in milk for 3-4 hours.
- Hang yogurt in a muslin cloth for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the thick yogurt from the cloth in a bowl.
- This thick yogurt is called chakka.
- Add powdered sugar, cardamom powder and saffron milk in the chakka and mix well.
- Transfer the srikhand in the serving bowls.
- Garnish with slivered dry fruits.
- Chill in the refrigerator before serving.
- Serve with puri or as such.