Sweetpotato halwa/ Sakarkandi halwa/ Mitha aloo Halwa is a healthy option home recipe.
Sweet potatoes are naturally sweet in taste, so we are adding very less amount of sugar here.So whenever you crave something sweet but you want to go on a healthier route, make this halwa and enjoy.
The procedure is very easy. The only tough part is stirring constantly. Yes, you’ll have to stir continuously from start to finish.
SweetPotato Halwa Variation:-
- To make it for babies or kids, you can use jaggery (or brown sugar) instead of sugar. This makes this dessert super healthy.
- You can add a pinch of saffron along with milk.
- You can add some grated coconut which adds some texture and bite to this sweet potato halwa.
Ingredients need for Sweetpotato Halwa:-
- 1 large or 1 cup Sweet potatoes boiled, peeled and mashed
- 2 tablespoon Ghee (clarified butter)
- ½ cup Milk
- 2-3 tablespoons Sugar depends on the sweetness of sweet potato
- ¼ teaspoon Green cardamom seeds powder
- a pinch Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1-2 tablespoons Almonds or cashews, chopped
Instructions for making sweetpotato Halwa:-
- Boil the sweet potato in a pressure cooker (5-6 whistles) or Instant pot (manual 15 minutes). When cool to touch, peel and mash using a potato masher.
- Heat the ghee in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mashed sweet potatoes.
- Mix and cook with stirring constantly until it becomes thick and leaves the sides of the pan.
- Now add milk. Mix and cook until all the moisture evaporates and leaves the sides of the pan.
- Then add sugar, cardamom and nutmeg. Mix, as sugar melts, it becomes loose and runny again. Cook until it becomes thick again.
- Lastly, add sliced almonds.