Indori Poha is an easy to cook, tasty and light snack. It is sweet and salty with the dash of lemon. it is made from Flaten or beaten rice and masala.
Indori poha –recipe which is a famous street food and a staple breakfast in Madhya Pradesh. Poha is not only limited to MP but prepared in all over India with many versions but Indori Poha is something different. Sprinkled with sev or bhujiya and served with jalebi is the unique combination which makes it stand out.
Madhya Pradesh cuisine varies regionally. Wheat and meat are common in the north and west side of state while the south and east are dominated by rice and fish.
Indore is a renowned place for street food, there are places which are running for generations. Dal bafla, Poha jalebi is a very popular breakfast there.
In Maharashtra, it is called kanda poha with a similar way of cooking. Usually, a breakfast or snack item accompanied by tea. Poha is made with flattened rice or beaten rice.
Ingredients for Indori Poha:-
- 1 Cup poha (beaten rice or flatten rice)
- 1 Green chili chopped or sliced
- Salt as per taste
- 1 Tsp mustard seeds
- 1 Sprig of curry leaves
- 2 Tblsp oil
- 1 Medium sized onion finely chopped
- 1 Medium size potato
- 2 Pinch of turmeric powder
- 1 Lemon
- 1/2 Tsp sugar
- Handful green coriander finely chopped
- For Garnishing
- Handful pomegranate seed
- 2 Tblsp chopped onion
- 3 Tblsp roasted peanut
- 3-4 Tblsp bhujiya sev
Methods for making Indori poha:-
- First of all, measure poha or beaten rice and wash in running water in a colander. Drain and keep it aside. It will absorb the moisture and puff up. No need to soak for long in water. It also depends on poha quality. If thick poha then has to be soaked in water for some time.
- Heat oil in a kadhai on medium flame. Add mustard seeds and let them crackle.
- To this add curry leaves and sliced green chilies. Stir for 30 seconds.
- After 30 seconds add chopped onion. Stir for 2 minutes. Add chopped potatoes and mix. Cover with the lid and cook until potatoes are cooked. It takes around 5 minutes. Lower the heat if required else potatoes get burnt.
- Once potatoes are cooked add turmeric powder, sugar, and salt. Mix well.
- Finally, add soaked poha and give a nice mix so that everything combines well. Adjust salt as per taste.
- Add lemon juice and chopped coriander. Stir nicely.