Coconut chutney is Prepared from fresh coconut, urad dal, green chillies, dry red chilli, etc, thengan kai chutney is one of the best chutney recipes for serving with most of Breakfast and lunch menu and snacks.
Coconut Chutney or Thengan kai –Chutney is a South Indian condiment that is served with dosa, idli, vada, and also as a part of a meal. It is one of the versatile chutneys that pairs well with any South Indian snack or breakfast. Here is how to make this recipe at home.
Ingredients for Coconut Chutney:-
- 1 cup Coconut (Grated)
- 1/4 cup Roasted Bengal gram
- 2 tbsp Curd
- 1 Green chilli (Chopped)
- ½ inch Ginger (Chopped)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Oil
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- 1-2 Dry red chilies (Broken)
- 10-12 Curry leaves
- ¼ tsp Hing
Instructions for making Coconut Chutney:-
- Blend all the ingredients for chutney in a blender to make a smooth paste.
- Use little water to blend the chutney.
- Transfer in the serving bowl.
For the tempering
- Heat oil in a small pan.
- Add mustard seeds and urad dal.
- Fry till the dal turns brown.
- Add dry red chilies, curry leaves and hing.
- Pour the tempering over the chutney and mix well.
- Serve with dosa, idli or paniyaram.
Add mint in the recipe to make Mint Coconut Chutney.
Tomato and Onion can be added in this chutney too.
Add peanut for a change in taste. Make sure to roast the peanuts before adding in the chutney.
Roasted sesame seeds makes a great addition in this chutney.