Gujarati Khakhra –is a crispy crunchy snack made from whole wheat flour and methi leaves.
These delicious roti-papad can be enjoyed anytime of the day. Serve Khakhra as a tea time snack along with a cup of tea.
The Gujarati Khakhra – is a snack made from whole wheat flour and is served for breakfast, tea or even taken as a travel snack. It is wholesome as it is made from whole wheat flour and delicately flavoured with ingredients like fenugreek, turmeric and asafoetida.
They are made just like Roti and cooked on a griddle on low heat until they become nice and crisp. These whole wheat Khakhra are flavored with Kasuri Methi that adds a beautiful flavor in these plain Khakhras.
Ingredients for KHAKHRA:-
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 tbsp Kasuri Methi
- 1 tsp Salt
- /12 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ¼ tsp Hing
- 2 tbsp Oil (plus for frying)
Instructions for making khakhra:-
- Add flour, kasuri methi, salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, hing and 2 tbsp oil in a bowl and mix with fingers.
- Add water little by little and knead to make a medium soft dough.
- Cover the dough and keep aside for 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 20-22 equal balls.
- Dust the balls with dry flour and roll into a thin 5 inch circle.
- Make the circle as thin as possible without tearing the dough.
- Heat a griddle.
- Put the khakra on the griddle.
- Simmer the heat to low.
- Press the khakra with a cotton cloth and cook till brown spots appear.
- Flip on the other side and keep pressing with cloth.
- Apply ½ tsp oil on both the sides and cook till the khakhra is crisp.
- Keep flipping sides while cooking.
- Remove from the griddle.
- Cool the khakhra completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a month.
- Serve with pickle and tea.