The lemon muffins recipe uses simple ingredients which pretty much will be there in your kitchen. The recipe does not use curd or buttermilk as I feel the acidity of lemon juice work very well with leavening agents like baking soda or baking powder, which helps in making the muffins lighter and softer. Instead of lemons you can also use limes.
These muffins are totally lemony and sweetly tangy. so if you like lemons you will like these muffins too. serve these eggless lemon muffins as a sweet snack or dessert.
Ingredients for Lemon Muffins:-
- 1 cup whole wheat flour, levelled or 120 grams whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Half cup sugar or 80 grams sugar
- ½ cup water or 125 ml water
- ¼ cup olive oil or 62.5 ml olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice or 62.5 ml lemon juice (juice extracted from 1 large lemon or 2 medium lemons or 3 medium limes)
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoon lemon zest
Instructions for Preparation :-
- Line a muffin pan with muffin liners. You can also grease the pan with oil instead of using muffin liners.
- Now rinse a large lemon first. Wipe dry and then zest the lemon with a zester or grater. Keep the lemon zest aside. Only remove the yellow or green part of the peel and not the white pith. Also preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Halve the lemon and squeeze it to get its juice. You should get 1/4 cup lemon juice. Do measure the juice quantity as 1/4 cup is required for this recipe.
Making Lemon Muffins Batter:-
- Take the lemon juice in a mixing bowl or pan.
- Now add 1/2 cup sugar to the lemon juice.
- Then add 1/2 cup water. With a wired whisk begin to stir so that all the sugar is mixed with the lemon solution.
- The entire sugar must dissolve.
- Add 1/4 cup olive oil. With a wired whisk stir very well so that the oil is mixed evenly with the lemon juice sugar solution.
- Now in a plate or tray, in a seive add 1 cup whole wheat flour (leveled, 120 grams) and add 1/2 tsp baking powder.
- I have not used baking soda here, as I do not prefer the soapy aroma of baking powder. Personally I feel 1/2 tsp baking soda gives too much of soapy aroma for 1 cup of flour. If you are ok with the aroma, you can add add 1/2 tsp baking soda. Sift the dry ingredients.
- Now add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Also add 1 to 1.5 tbsp of the lemon zest.
- With light hands stir well. Be quick to stir. Everything should be mixed very well. But don’t over do the mixing.
- Pour the batter in the muffin liners.
Baking Lemon Muffins
- Bake the muffins at 180 degrees celsius/356 degrees fahrenheit for 20 to 25 minutes. Since the temperatures in all the ovens are not the same, do keep a check while baking.
- A tooth pick inserted in the muffins should come out clean.
- After 4 to 5 minutes, place the lemon muffins on a wire rack to cool. From this recipe you will get 8 medium sized lemon muffins.
- Serve these egg free lemon muffins as a sweet snack or dessert. You can also pack one or two muffins in the tiffin box as a side sweet snack.