Perfect for Christmas evening high tea, this crunchy, mild sweet and jam topped pastry can be made by mixing some cream cheese, all purpose flour, blueberry jam, just bake and indulge in the goodness of flavours.
Give your Christmas evenings and get togethers a connoisseur’s touch with this delicious DANISH PASTRY RECIPE, which you can make at home anytime.
Ingredients for Danish pastry:-
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ cup lukewarm water
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup butter, very cold, cut into small cubes
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup whipping cream
Instructions for making Danish pastry:-
- Dissolve sugar into the warm water and sprinkle the yeast over the water. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- In a food processor mix together the flour, sugar and salt.
- Pulse in the cold butter cubes.
- Do not over incorporate the butter into the flour mixture. There should still be pea sized chunks of butter in the mix; the same as if you were making good pastry.
- Remove the mixture from the food processor and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the eggs and whipping cream.
- Stir in the yeast mixture and pour over the flour mixture and toss together with a wooden spoon, just enough to make a dough form. It is not necessary to need this dough. Divide in two portions. Each portion makes about 8-10 pastries so if you don’t need it all right away, double wrap one portion in plastic wrap and freeze it for later.
- This dough needs to be rested in the fridge for several hours or overnight.
- After forming into the desired shapes, the pastries should be left to rise for at least a half hour in a warm kitchen.
- All danishes should be brushed with an egg wash made from whisking together 1 egg with 2 tbsp water before baking on a parchment lined baking sheet at 375 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Timing depends upon size, larger pastries may take 25 minutes.