Shahi paneer is a flavorful and rich paneer curry preparation made by cooking the paneer pieces in thick gravy made up of cream, cashew paste, tomatoes and spices and seasoned with saffron. The term “Shahi Paneer” implies a royal dish that was served in the Imperial court. It goes well with tandoor breads, naan and roti.
Shahi panner consists of creamy and mellow spicy gravy which can be served to people of all ages, including kids. The combination of milk cream or malai along with cashew nuts helps to supply some healthy fats to the body.
The best Punjabi shahi paneer recipe! Deliciously flavorful, aromatic, rich, creamy, and restaurant-style paneer gravy.
It will surely become your new favorite paneer dish at home! This homemade shahi paneer is 100 times better than the restaurant one. it makes a rich and heavy main dish. Perfect for special occasion family dinner or guest dinner.
Ingredients You Need:-All the ingredients are easily available in any Indian grocery store.
Paneer: It is available in the frozen section in Indian grocery stores. I prefer nanak, gopi brand. I have tried brar and swad brands are ok too. Occasionally I make homemade paneer, but for convenience, I mostly use store-bought.
– Ghee: It adds richness and nice flavor. You can use oil but you will miss the flavor. Or closest substitution is unsalted butter.
– Cashew nuts: helps to make thick, nutty, rich gravy
– Whole spices (cloves, cinnamon, green cardamoms): these are added while boiling the onion. Then DO NOT discard the spices, grind them along with onions into the fine paste.
– Cardamom powder: This makes the gravy aromatic. You must add this to the end. After adding, do not boil or simmer the gravy otherwise it loses its aroma.
– Saffron: It is crushed and added into the warm cream, so it releases its color and flavor at most.
For cashew paste:
- ▢ 7-8 Cashew nuts
- ▢ ¼ cup Hot water
For saffron-cream mixture:
- ▢ ¼ cup Heavy whipping cream or fresh cream or malai (Warm)
- ▢ 6-7 strands Saffron crushed
For boiled onion paste:
- 1 medium or ¾ cup Red onion roughly chopped
- 1 Green chili roughly chopped
- ½ inch Ginger peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic chopped
- Two Cloves
- 2 Green cardamoms
- ½ inch Cinnamon stick
For shahi paneer recipe:
- 6 oz or or 170 grams Paneer cut into triangles or cubes
- 2 tablespoons Ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 medium or 1 ¼ cups Tomatoes chopped and pureed
- Salt to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- ⅛ teaspoon Black pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- One teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 teaspoon Kasoori methi (Dried fenugreek leaves) lightly crushed
- ⅛ teaspoon Green cardamom seeds powder.
Step By Step Photo Instructions
1) Soak cashew nuts in hot water for 15-20 minutes.
2) Warm up the heavy cream in the microwave for a few seconds. Take few saffron strands, crush and add to the warm cream. Mix and keep it aside. Over time saffron releases its flavor and color into the cream.
3) Now take onion, ginger, garlic, green chili, cloves, cinnamon and cardamoms in a saucepan. Also, add ⅓ cup of water and turn the heat on medium. Let it cook for 8-10 minutes or till the onions become soft. Let it cool down.
4) Now make three kinds of purees in the following order: First, make cashew paste. Then grind cooked onion into a fine paste and then grind roughly chopped tomatoes into a puree.
5) Heat the ghee in a pan on medium heat. Once hot, add prepared onion paste.
6) Cook with stirring occasionally till it comes thick. It may take around 5-6 minutes.
7) Now add tomato puree and salt.
8) Mix, cook till all the moisture evaporated and it becomes a thick paste. So stir in between and make sure that it is not sticking to the sides and bottom of the pan. If it is spluttering too much then you can partially cover the pan.
9) Now add red chili powder, coriander powder, and black pepper powder. Mix well and cook for a minute.
10) Now mix in cashew paste, water, and sugar.
11) Simmer for 5-6 minutes. Do stir in between.
12) Now add garam masala and kasoori methi (crushed between your palm). Mix well.
13) Add paneer cubes. Mix and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
14) Now add saffron-cream mixture. Mix and let it come to a simmer.
15) Lastly, add cardamom powder and turn off the stove.
16) Stir well and it is ready to serve.