Basically it is an potato fritters which is apparently a famous vegetarian fast food snack in maharashtra cuisine or street food. it is typically served with a pav as vada pav or can be served as it is with tomato ketchup or coconut chutney. usually it is prepared in round ball like shaped snack, but can also be prepared in patties or tikki shape.
INGREDIENTS for Aloo Bonda:-
FOR POTATO MASALA:
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds / rai
- ½ tsp jeera / cumin seeds
- ½ tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- pinch of hing / asafoetida
- few curry leaves, chopped
- 6 cashews, broken
- 1 small sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger, finely chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric / haldi
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- ½ tsp kashmiri red chilli powder / lal mirch powder
- salt to taste
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- 3 medium sized potato, boiled, peeled and mashed
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- You may also like these tasty Paneer Home recipe :- palak paneer , Mushroom Paneer , Paneer Biriyani , Paneer cutlet
- 1 cup besan / gram flour
- ¼ cup corn flour
- ¼ tsp turmeric / haldi
- salt to taste
- ¼ tsp kashmiri red chilli powder / lal mirch powder
- ¼ tsp ajwain / carom seeds
- water as required
- 1 tsp oil
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- oil for deep frying.
- firstly, in a large kadai heat oil and add mustard seeds, jeera, crushed coriander seeds, hing and few curry leaves.
- allow to splutter.
- further add broken cashews and roast to golden.
- additionally saute chopped onions, ginger and chilli.
- furthermore add in turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala powder and salt. saute.
- now add in boiled and mashed potato mix well.
- additionally, add in coriander leaves and lemon juice.
- prepare the besan batter.
- also make a ball from the prepared aloo masala.
- further, dip into besan batter and deep fry in hot oil.
- fry till the bonda turns golden and crisp.
- finally, serve aloo bonda along with chutney or tomato sauce.